29 January 2013

Creative Process Countdown

Day 282

This morning (last night, really) I had a chat with Majella, one of the Course Directors for the UL Trad Performance Masters. It was lovely hearing the true Irish lilt again, and of course, to get the full run down on the Programme. A recent addition to the Course is an assessment of your own creative process. This includes a peer review as well as a journal to be kept for a minimum of two to three weeks.  I don't know of a better motivation to become more active writing here. Between l'autre's encouragement and knowing I will need to keep a journal of these trials and tribulations in the future, I plan to add 5-10 minutes of writing per day of playing. Not sure if I'm ready to make myself wait to black out days of playing until I've done my writing reflection, but perhaps that is what will bring motivation to completion. Wish me luck.

Majella was kind enough to listen to my playing a bit and give a small bit of feedback, mainly, to work the focus to the backbeat, versus the downbeat. Playing tunes over the phone is not an easy listening task, however, so she asked me to make a recording and email it to her so she could give it a more proper listen. After a tasty breakfast of eggs and toast, I did a trial recording. Specifically did not try and change anything about how I've been playing the tunes. What an eye opener! I cannot believe how much listening to myself play without being in the act of playing allowed me to surrender to the sounds. And yes, I am quite heavy on the downbeats.  Something I will dive into adjusting. Today.

Foreseeing high intake of tea levels in 3...2...1....

No comments:

Post a Comment