28 January 2013

Catalysts

Driving home from sessions gives me wonderful opportunity to listen to some new and old tunes.  It also gives me way too much time to sit and Think. Tonight's Thoughts were about how I ended up where I am today. A year ago, I was a completely different player.  I refused to play even in front of those who wouldn't know the difference between a jig and a reel.  Sure, I played with people, but starting tunes even with those musicians I trusted was a nerve wracking task, and one I usually avoided until prodding from another musician.

When did I begin to see the change? Along the last six to eight months, there've been several experiences that changed the course of my playing.  One frustrating weekend in Minnesota and a much needed heart to heart with l'autre. A couple of passing comments from musicians I play with regularly.  Conversations with new friends on the entity that is this music and lifestyle. I've tried to mark the changes if I catch them, but there are many that have been so minute as to be a part of the process, undefined from the rest of the minute moments.

Tonight was a small but memorable catalyst toward my own confidence in my playing.  I have a recording of N playing two Paddy Fahy reels.  Fiddle and guitar.  The second reel has a rolling B section that at one point inspires a lengthy and enthusiastic hup from a listening musician.  There is an energy and excitement in the playing that pulls out the excitement in another.  Being off of one of my favourite session recordings, on more than one occasion I had hoped to bring that wee bit of excitement with my own tune.  This evening found me playing through my audition sets, and during my final reel - Heights of Muingbhatha - during the B section I pulled a hup from two of my fellow musicians. Detail, but remembering that moment I hope it lends toward my confidence in my tunes and my fiddle.  If nothing else, I hope the memory of the smile it brought will give some confidence in my pre-interview for UL tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment