27 January 2013

A Cuppa and Contemplations

There is something gratifying and grounding in sitting down with a cuppa Barry's tea, a playlist of fantastic new tunes, and the gumption to write a bit.

I have been so lucky as to spend time with some lovely and supportive friends these last couple of days.  And lucky to be at a time when I needed reassurance on my decision to take a leave of absence from my current job to study traditional Irish music again at the source: this time the University of Limerick.  A decision that has been long forthcoming.  After my first year back "home" I realized how much I missed the Irish life and how much I wished to return for more than a visit or extended stay.

They say that life is what happens when you're busy making other plans, and that's exactly what had happened.  Plans to apply for UL four years ago were detoured quickly by a job, a boyfriend, and an appointed leadership in the state AOSA Chapter.  Now, after four more years of saving, four more years of playing, four more years of sessioning, four more years of teaching experience, it's time.  I'm done making plans; I'm ready to start living them.

Tomorrow night (which I can't believe has come so quickly!) I have a conversation set up with Majella, one of the Course Directors for the Masters of Traditional Music Performance degree.  She will be calling about 8 am Irish time Tuesday morning.  Although not an official interview, it is a get-to-know-you for us both.  I have questions about the programme, I'm sure she will have a few questions for me, and I will play a bit for her in hopes for some feedback on if I'm ready for the level of the degree.  Having talked to and played with a good number of players who experienced the programme, I feel I'm pretty on par.  It will be good to have some critical evaluations of my playing from someone actually in charge of the programme.  Wish me skill!

No comments:

Post a Comment