13 May 2012

Ishvara Pranidhara:Surrender

Remember those times you got so caught up in what you were doing that an entire afternoon whizzed by without you even completely realizing it?  Being in the flow, disappearing into the moment, submersing yourself in the action you are taking - - allowing for total surrender into the Self - - it is a magical and spiritual place to be.  I have been blessed to have sunk into the peace of the Now with more and more regularity these last weeks.

This weekend we celebrated our final days as Yoga Teacher Trainers, to surrender one piece of our life in order to find our next Self To Come.  Our ceremony was simple, beautiful, and moving.  A short walk over rose petals, a bell to awaken, water to cleanse, rice for sustenance, flowers for perfume, light for our path, and a beautiful bindi we all wore with a sense of pride.  I felt enveloped in the purity of the moment we shared with each other, our teachers, our family, and our Selves.  I am utterly thankful for the time I was granted these last months to spend with this Yoga Family, through our joys and our struggles, to grow further into my own sense of Self.

This weekend also concluded my third week of playing and began week four.  Our Niyama for this month of yoga was Ishvara Pranidhara, or surrender.  This crossed so beautifully into my music - - I have promised myself twenty minutes (or more) to play each day, and as I find myself picking up my fiddle, I slip so easily into the notes.  As the tunes wash over my fingerboard, I loose myself in the instant, coming out only enough to find the next tune (which may or may not come out as expected).  Although sometimes it is difficult to tuck in a few minutes to play, as soon as I start, I can surrender my day to itself and find my heart, my love, in the music.  More than once I have found myself so entirely wrapped up in the moment that I have lost track of time and open my eyes to find an hour or more has passed, not the twenty minutes I planned on giving my Self.  In this realization, I smile and open my heart to the power of the music, the power of the surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment