29 April 2012

Other Worldly

Last night brought a fantastic evening: Solo and Ensemble Festival went smoothly throughout the day, then a decent drive to Greeley, Chinese with Jackie, and The Outside Track concert (see side link).  Phenomenal concert - - so much energy, great arrangements of songs and tunes, and a wonderful variety of fast and slow pieces.  A hello to Norah during the intermission and an invite for tunes at the firepit at Blayne's house afterwards.

Jackie seemed fascinated by the music.  I felt re-inspired (which was great timing, the end of my one week toward 63 days!).  During intermission and after the show, she and I were talking about the music and the sessions.  I described for her the Other Worldly Feeling that happens when you get into a really amazing session with people you really enjoy playing with, friends or strangers.  The meditative quality of the tunes, the almost spiritual journey (though I don't think I used those exact words).  As I was talking, and probably getting a dozy look on my face as I reminisced about the best sessions I can remember, Jackie was giving me this quizzical look.  I suppose it's not something one would probably understand unless they've encountered a similar experience.

When we all arrived at Blayne's and were waiting for the fire to burn down enough to be comfortably around it, Jackie, Blayne, and I were chatting on their deck.  Blayne and I were sharing "most amazing session experiences" and how difficult it is to come by them, especially in this area.  He was telling me of several sessions he recently went to back east, and described them as Other Worldly.  I looked at Jackie.  See, I'm not crazy.  Just obsessed.  It's a good place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment