20 May 2012

Rolling in the Ryegrass

So completes day 29 of 63 days of tunes.  Four solid weeks down, five solid weeks to go.  Some days have been just barely enough for me to consider blacking out my calendar, others have been hours at a time (I figure these make up for the days I squeak out just barely 20 minutes).  I feel like I might be hitting a wall sometimes, but usually once I start listening and playing, I realize "nope, no wall, this is fantastic."

This week I let many tunes that I'd sorted out the last three weeks marinade.  Some of them have stuck better than others.  Some have morphed into tunes I was not expecting (these are the "tunes that popped out" for this week's list).  Some I can start at the beginning, some I have to start at a key area of the melody before I can find the beginning.  Some I honestly do have the name attached!  Some I have a name attached but I have to play "The One Before" before I can play "The One After."  The ones that really puzzle me are the ones I have recorded after that I play to get to the one before.  But it works out.

I also started going through age old recordings from January of my time in Ireland....working slowly through 1621 files (according to a quick iTunes highlight).  I was excited on one set when I could name all of the tunes Sean O'Driscoll played one afternoon at Charlie's.  I didn't have to put any into Tunepal to remember their names.

Ultimately, this endeavor is rolling, rolling, rolling along.  I have burned the CD of tunes for Boxwood we've all shared via email (Ingrid, l'autre Amy, Florence, and Rebecca).  Some of the tunes are beautiful, some I may not make a huge effort to learn, but they might pop out after a month of listening to them in my car.

I've also started a playlist of the "top 75 recorded tunes" that Dave sent me.  I figure if they're in the top recorded, they're probably well known by players somewhere.  The list is too long for one CD, but something else to work at these next 34 days.  Which really doesn't seem that long at all to continue rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment