14 November 2011

Tunes on the Road

So these last 5 days have been spent without access to my fiddle.  I was thick in the midst of wonderful music making, but Irish music was not the primary focus.  Though I found myself content and better with the constant flow of activities that was afforded to me in Pittsburgh at the National American-Orff Schulwerk, from morning meditation to evenings of folk dancing, it was wonderful to connect with people from around the area and around the world.

But that didn't mean when my ears heard the diddling of Morrison's jig my ears didn't perk up!  The first afternoon of lunchtime music I detoured myself, having several other items already on my plate for the lunch hour.  When the sweet sound of fiddle and guitar drifted through the hallways of the conference center, I couldn't help but investigate further.  Gathered around a table was a group of musicians, one with a fiddle and one with a guitar.  I listened for a short time, then asked to join their table, then got out the whistle (giving them the warning that I'm actually a fiddle player).  A few minutes later I was calling a favor of Elin to grab me something to eat and pulling out whatever stops I could manage to keep up with the tunes.  To my surprise, I even got a compliment from Sue Mueller on my whistle playing (as misplaced as her compliment may be, it was nice to receive).  We all exchanged contact information with the promise that next year we'll have to make sure we get a group together to play some tunes!

No matter the time or the place, Irish music can definitely get you in the door to some fabulous new contacts!

No comments:

Post a Comment