20 November 2011

Ahimsa Tunes

Last month I embarked on my 200 hour yoga teacher training course.  Because it is in Laramie and the first session starts at 4pm on a Friday afternoon of our training weekends, I have arranged to miss the first practice and agreed to make them up at a different time.  Two weekends ago (halfway through the long month before the next weekend), I decided to head over to Laramie to make the Sunday 9 am class, go to Justin and Katie’s senior recital, take in a master class from a Scottish/Irish group visiting UW, and end with the Yin class at 4. Kill four birds with one stone - - excellent!

On my way out the door, I realized I’d forgotten my whistle and decided I might want it for the master class. Just in case. Popped back in and grabbed in before heading on down the road.

Fast forward about 25 miles. The electronic signs they’ve started utilizing frequently started flashing warnings about an accident ahead, and be prepared to stop. Not two miles after the warning, I came upon standstill traffic. Literally. I’ve seen my share of I-80 accidents, driven an average 15mph down the highway as we all slide by them but never a complete standstill. Frustrated and watching the minutes tick by, getting closer and closer to my yoga class time.

In my yoga courses, our first weekend we focused on ahimsa, or the practice of nonviolence. Interestingly, after reading and discussing the ideals of ahimsa, this is way more complex a concept than one might originally believe. The more important emphasis when practicing ahimsa is being peaceful, gentle, and at home within one’s self. As I felt my frustration rising, I realized that I was not following the principle I was meant to be working on in the weeks between our training. This principle also being a founding part of my life as I develop as a teacher and a person.

Then I remembered the whistle that I (gasp!) nearly forgot. Here I was, in standstill traffic, car stereo blaring Irish tunes, my frustration unnecessarily rising - - and I had a fantastic piece of entertainment just an arm’s length away! So I pulled out my whistle. Granted, playing rather unsuccessfully along with the CD (those darn alternative keyed tunes really a bother), but feeling ahimsa rise up within myself, relaxation overtaking me. And though I do not wish any violence against those unfortunate drivers involved in the accident, thankful to the universe for giving me the opportunity to see a frustrating situation in a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment